Florida Crystals is a leading domestic sugar producer and North America's first fully integrated cane sugar company, guiding our sugar from farm to table. We are America's first and only producer of certified organic sugar, grown and harvested in the United States. Our renewable energy facility is the largest of its kind in North America and provides clean energy that powers our sugar operations, which helps us reduce our use of fossil fuels. Florida Crystals also sustainably farms rice, sweet corn and other vegetables in rotation with our sugarcane. Our rice mill is the only rice mill in Florida. Our premium, gluten-free and vegan rice is sold through our Florida Table brand as well as through private label.
An internship with Florida Crystals Cooperation (FCC) is a great way to apply what you have learned in the classroom. We offer the opportunity to experience what work may be like after graduation and to build a foundation for your career. As an intern at FCC, you will be part of a team working together with professionals in your field. You will gain experience working for a top tier food manufacturer that will help you to develop skills you will carry forward and build relationships that you will likely continue even after your internship ends.
DETAILED ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Harvest sample preparation - organization, grouping and creation of composites, moisture, dockage, milling analyses and preparation of samples for grading
- Harvest ticket entry in electronic system, assist in trouble-shooting and data analyses
- Physical evaluations for rice and rice flour testing
- Inspections for monthly auditing activities for the Quality Department & compliance under the supervision of the Site Quality Leader and assistance in monthly audit documentation
- Assistance in other auditing activities, daily inspections, and monthly trainings
- Creation and/or revision of SOPs/forms pertaining to local food safety and quality documents
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Customer Orientation: Committed to delivering results to both external and internal customers in a timely manner.
- Results Orientation and Accountability: Respects project and task deadlines, takes accountability for delivering on commitments; owns mistakes and uses these as opportunities for learning and development; open to feedback
- Effective communication: Communicates efficiently and effectively with associates. Has strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Credibility: Demonstrates technical proficiency, reliable customer service and delivery of results
- Quality Management- Knowledge and application of food industry quality systems;
- Acting with Integrity: Clearly states goals and beliefs; lets people know his/her true intentions; does what he she said they would do; follows through on commitments; understands and follows company policies
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Expresses ideas and information in a clear and concise manner; tailors message to fit the interests and needs of the audience; delivers information in a manner that is interesting and compelling to the listener
- Energy & Initiative: Takes action on his/her own without being prompted; handles problems independently; able to resolve issues without relying on extensive help from others; does more than is expected or asked; asserts one's influence over events to achieve goals
- Judgment & Decision-Making: Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions
- You must be eligible to work in the country in which the internship is offered.
- Have a strong academic record (minimum 3.0 GPA or better).
- You must be entering your junior or senior year in college in a BS program in Food Science, Chemistry, Biology, Biological and Agricultural Engineering. Educational requirement may be waived for candidates having experience in the food industry.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- You must be able to work a minimum of eight (8) consecutive weeks or more during the time when the internship is offered.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, the ability to write clearly and accurately, and strong verbal communication skills are essential.
- As part of the hiring process, you must successfully complete a background investigation, reference check, and pre-placement physical and drug screen.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.