The Engineer I will work in the Sustaining & VAVE (Value Analysis / Value Engineering) team that is part of the Unitary Products Group Ducted Systems for JCI. This position will be located in the Wichita, KS plant and will report to the Engineering Manager for Sustaining & VAVE.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
This position will create value for JCI stakeholders by implementing various cost, product, and process improvements to residential and light commercial HVAC systems through the application of proven engineering principles. Potential cost improvements will be identified by working closely with the Procurement team and performing regular VAVE benchmarking events. Potential product and process improvements will be identified by working closely with the Field Service, Manufacturing, and Quality teams. This position will evaluate prospective improvements prior to their implementation using life cycle testing and field testing to ensure both an increase in product reliability and a decrease in warranty claims. This position will also be expected to lead smaller scale projects and support larger scale projects under the guidance of both the Senior Engineer and Engineering Manager.
HOW YOU WILL DO IT:
- Follow established safety procedures and wear the required personal protection equipment.
- Complete projects in a timely and efficient manner to ensure that improvement objectives are met.
- Generate cost improvement proposals through regular VAVE benchmarking events.
- Work closely with the Procurement team to qualify alternate suppliers and/or components.
- Generate product and process improvement proposals by participating in cross-functional value stream meetings with the Field Service, Manufacturing, and Quality teams.
- Prioritize all proposals based on anticipated savings, improvement potential, and implementation time.
- Implement viable proposals according to the assigned priority using the engineering change process.
- Provide technical direction and guidance to designers, model makers, technicians, and/or programmers to ensure timely implementation of improvement proposals.
- Track and report progress on key metrics such as cost, reliability, and warranty improvements to internal customers, external customers, and upper management.
- Participate in design reviews for all new product launches to ensure the implementation of previous “lessons learned” and the application of any new product and/or process improvements.
- Lead smaller scale projects and support larger scale projects under the guidance of both the Senior Engineer and Engineering Manager.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT WE LOOK FOR
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience working with product or system design in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong mechanical aptitude and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Self-motivated with a determination to exceed project objectives.
- Ability to organize and manage simultaneous tasks and projects.
- Strong interpersonal skills; effective and professional communication.
- Ability to make decisions quickly in order to maintain project schedules.
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing situations and environments.
- Proficiency using the Microsoft Windows operating system in conjunction with the following Microsoft Office modules: Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Project, and Word.
- Familiarity with residential and light commercial HVAC equipment including air handlers, indoor coils, condensing units, heat pumps, gas furnaces, respacks, and their associated components.
- Familiarity with industry standards including AHRI, ASHRAE, DOE, EPA, NEC, UL/CSA, etc.
- Experience in the HVAC field service environment.
- Experience in a manufacturing or production environment.
- Formal training in VAVE or benchmarking analysis.
- Strong electrical aptitude including unit wiring, controls, and instrumentation.
- EPA Section 608 Refrigerant Certification – Universal (40 CFR Part 82, Subpart F).
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.